Do you love the smell of sweet, sticky, thick-cut watermelon on a hot summer day? Last year, the streets brimmed with over 118,000 visitors who had made their way to the Carytown Watermelon Festival to devour 2,600 of these delicious summertime fruits while soaking in all the excitement of local performances, gift vendors, local businesses, and the all-around watermelon themed revelries! With the 33rd Annual Watermelon Festival fast approaching (Sunday, August 14th), we want to share with you ourTop 3 Reasons why you should lather on the coconut-scented sunscreen, grab your pooch’s leash, and join in the jubilee!
Watermelon is just as much a refreshing snack for us, as it can be for our favorite four-legged family members! Watermelon wields several health-enhancing benefits, including: Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Potassium. This succulent melon is low in calories (one cup being only 50 calories, and is comprised of 92% water (watermelon is a powerhouse fruit of hydration!). Before letting your dog engorge on a slice of this celebrated summer favorite, takes a few precautions by removing the rind and seeds from the melon to avoid the risk of intestinal blockage.
Explore Unique Local Businesses
Discover new, and support your favorite local businesses in this summer celebration! Carytown is a mecca for over 250 brick-and-mortar shops and restaurants, and on the day of the Watermelon Festival- this number expands to over 300 local businesses and services all converging for a late-summer hoorah! Make sure to stop by the Best Bully Sticks chews & treats tent to stock up on the BEST (and your dog’s favorite!) all-natural, chemical/preservative free goodies for your pup! Looking for pet-friendly shops to stop in for local-made goods, art, toys, or gifts? Check out these shops and restaurants who are “dog-approved”!
Bygone’s Creme de la Creme Dogma Fiamour Glass Boat Lex’s of Carytown Mongrel Orange RVA Sacred Waters Holistic Spa Urban Interiors World of Mirth
10 Italian Cafe Bev’s Ice Cream Burger Bach Carytown Burgers and Fries Can Can Brasserie Coppola’s Deli Ginger Thai Taste Nacho Mama’s Pomegranate Weezie’s Kitchen
*Dogs must be well-mannered and leashed at all times! Restaurants are pet-friendly on outside patios only. Call to confirm any shop or restaurant you are considering bringing your pup to!
Support an Outstanding Charity
While perusing Cary Street’s historic stretch of road, you may spot men in fez- find the five designated watermelon booths stationed by the men donning this unusual headwear, and you will find bowls of cool mouthwatering melon- ripe for the purchase of $1 with all proceeds benefitting the Shriners Hospital for Children. Also known as, “The World’s Greatest Philanthropy”, Shriners Hospital for Children’s mission is to:
- Provide the highest quality care to children with neuromusculoskeletal conditions, burn injuries and other special healthcare needs within a compassionate, family-centered and collaborative care environment.
- Provide for the education of physicians and other healthcare professionals.
- Conduct research to discover new knowledge that improves the quality of care and quality of life of children and families.
“This mission is carried out without regard to race, color, creed, sex or sect, disability, national origin or ability of a patient or family to pay.” -Shriners Hospitals for Children
A Few Tips for Fun!
- Get there early as crowds of summer-goers will be looking to celebrate in this festival!
- Bring PLENTY of water! August is traditionally hot, make sure to bring some extra water for your pup!
- Have training treats in tow to reward your dog for great socialization and behavior! (Check out Best Bully Sticks newest mini treat, USA Super Star Training Treats!)
- Have your smartphone charged and ready to take all the pictures of your dog loving his summer outing with you at one of Richmond’s most renowned festivals (don’t forget to tag your pup at our chews & treats tent with #wagamelon16 to save an additional 5% at our booth)!
- Find information & tips from our friends at FETCH a Cure who will be educating, empowering, and encouraging pet-parents with resources on pet cancer awareness and help!
- Most importantly, have fun and love your pup at this year’s Carytown Watermelon Festival!